Pictured Above: PROUD: Principal Karen Buchanan and Chairman of Governors David Meakin with recipients of Burnley College Sixth Form Centre’s Awards for Excellence 2019: the A Level and Advanced Vocational students whose amazing results and progress have helped the College be recognised as number one in England in the latest official Government achievement tables.
Burnley College Sixth Form Centre recognised as England’s top College in national league tables
Burnley College Sixth Form Centre is England’s number one, highest-achieving College, according to official figures released by the Government who have analysed results and progress rates from Colleges across the country.
The award-winning College, which is rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted, earned top place in the Department for Education’s National Achievement Rate Tables, which are produced annually. Burnley College has taken top spot in the table, which covers education and training for 16 to 18 years olds in the last academic year (2018-19).
Principal Karen Buchanan said:
“I am immensely proud that the outstanding, on-going efforts of our students, apprentices and staff have been recognised nationally. However, success for us, in the Burnley College family, is not merely about statistics and league tables. Success is changing the lives of our students and Apprentices: providing them with the skills and knowledge they need to stand head and shoulders above the rest; the broad range of experiences which empower them to determine and shape their own future and the support to develop as confident, resilient members of society, with the drive to make a positive difference.
“We will share our pride and celebrate together as the Burnley College family when the education landscape returns to normal following Covid-19: it is great to have some good news to share when, for so long, our efforts have been concentrated on ensuring the academic progress and health and wellbeing of our students, apprentices and staff.
Burnley College, a pioneering Association of Colleges Beacon College, which shares teaching and learning best practice across the UK, in 2019 achieved record-breaking A Level results with a
- 99.8% A Level pass rate;
- 92% of students achieving at least one A*-C A Level grade
- 60% of students achieving at least one A*-B A Level grade
- 100% Advanced Vocational pass rate for the 16th consecutive year
- 95% of students achieving at least one Distinction*-Merit Advanced Vocation grade.
It’s reputation for excellence has been consolidated by outstanding results, year on year, in the core subjects of Maths, English and Science, with students achieving exceptional grades, enabling them to secure places on the most keenly-contested degree programmes, such as medicine, at top universities.
The College is continually investing in its £100 million town centre Campus, further expanding its industry-standard Centre of Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Excellence; developing contemporary learning spaces filled with the latest high-tech equipment; providing additional facilities in its award-winning fitness centre Fitness Evolution and creating university-standard science laboratories.
Karen Buchanan added:
“Year on year, our students surpass their initial expectations, reach their goals and see their dreams come true: as a College we are privileged to play a part in making this happen. We build futures and change lives: our students achieve their full potential, they progress to top universities, including the Universities of Cambridge, Oxford and Russell Group institutions each year, they enjoy successful, rewarding careers where they can make a difference.”
Pictured above: PROUD: Principal Karen Buchanan has expressed her pride in the students and staff who have ensured Burnley College Sixth Form Centre is rated as the number one College in England in the latest, official Government achievement tables.
She attributed the College’s continuing success to:
- truly exceptional teaching and learning – all our Tutors are experts in their chosen subjects and are passionate about sharing their skills and knowledge. Our classes are innovative, engaging and stimulate students;’ curiosity, with many of our Tutors recognised nationally for their achievements and all continually develop their own learning to benefit students.
- Individualised support – every student is given the tailored, personalised support they need from specialist Tutors to ensure they are empowered to produce their very best work and are supported to overcome any barriers to learning they may face. This same individual support ensures every student has access to professional advice and guidance on their journey to success after College. Students who come to us lacking confidence in Maths and English – or those who have struggled with these subjects at secondary school – are given the specialist tuition and individual guidance they need to achieve vital qualifications.
- Extra-curricular activities – students benefit from a comprehensive range of extra-curricular activities, geared to broaden their horizons and complement their learning. Students travel across the globe to bring learning to life; enjoy volunteering and work experience placements; engage in termly Student Development Days to gain skills valued by universities and top employers; take part in fun activities to build social skills and meet others
- Our safe and secure environment – we offer comprehensive health and wellbeing support to every student, via a College nurse and counsellor and, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, via on online portal, The Big White Wall. As a College we expect students to embrace the learning opportunities open to them and, as such, have expectations regarding attendance, behaviour and attitude.
Karen Buchanan said:
“Success is engrained in everything we do here at Burnley College. As the supportive Burnley College family, students and staff alike are united in our determination to be the very best; to work tirelessly to make dreams come true; to build futures and change lives. For the results of this to be recognised in these Government achievement tables is amazing!”
Are you considering your future after GCSEs? Do you want a place at a friendly, vibrant College just a short walk from Burnley’s busy town centre (and a planned leisure quarter with Nando’s restaurant and cinema)? Do you want to be taught by outstanding Tutors with a proven record of securing excellent results and who can help you exceed your ambitions? Do you want to be part of England’s number one College? Contact us at email@example.com or telephone 01282 733333 now!
We would be happy to facilitate any additional coverage while abiding by Covid-19 restrictions. For more information on this press release, additional photography and interview opportunities please contact:
Sally Dahmke, Marketing Executive, Burnley College
firstname.lastname@example.org 07811 793101